Thursday, January 6, 2011

Would YOU eat this?



Dasheen, a root with aliases (eddoe, taro, cocoyam, kalo),
is prepared & eaten like potatoes.  We pay MORE for
 them in the USA and use as accent plants (Elephant Ears)
 in our landscaping.
       Call me adventurous.  When it comes to living down here in the Caribbean and shopping for groceries I like to try new things.  Every time I begin to prepare a meal and bring out something odd looking, Captain Dan suggests we go out to eat...  I prevail, of course, and we've tried plantains, seaweed salad, Caribbean yams, faux gravlox (seasoned raw tuna),  green papayas, coconuts off the beach and yes, dasheen.  I think Dan likes them, but he rarely asks for seconds.
    (Now if I could just convince Dan to catch one of those free range chickens we see everywhere we go it would really round out tonight's supper.)

No comments: