Thursday, January 20, 2011

Puerto Rico

1-15-11
Puerto Del Rey, PR
   This marina came highly recommended by everyone who heard we were heading to Puerto Rico.  So far, we have not been disappointed.  It can “house” a thousand vessels and is nicely equipped to do so with staff who seem to go the extra mile to make a scraggly pair of cruisers like us feel comfortable.
    I was in desperate need of a haircut, as the trim my onboard stylist gave me was looking pretty shaggy.  The marina’s office girls got me an appointment at an extremely busy nearby salon.  I took a cab there, but walked the mile or so back.  The girls clued me in on a great bakery near the salon, so I stopped there for pastries and warm bread.  Then I passed a guy selling fish & langostas (lobsters at $5/lb.) along the road and I “shopped” his coolers. Finally, a couple had a truck load of fresh produce, so I selected some nicely ripened fruit (most of which the captain could recognize).  My arms were loaded with bags as I returned to the vessel.

1-16-11
   We had a notable encounter with the Customs and Boarder Control today.  I called the PR office to see if they had a clearance number for us since my cell calls from Vieques were cut off.  The officer took all the pertinent data again and instructed us to stay right where we were because he was sending some customs agents to check our boat.  We’ve never been boarded before by anyone official and were a bit concerned.  The men came and were very polite, searched nothing, and finally gave us a clearance number.  So now we’re here legally.  (Whew!)
  
1-17-11
   We rented a car to shop in Fajardo at (where else, but) Wal-Mart & West Marine.  Both of those stores always have everything we need and so much more…  We went to the West Marine so often during this short stay that there was a new grove worn in the road where Dan kept making a U-turn AND the check out girl had our phone number memorized.  Really, she DID.

1-19-11
Happy 3rd Birthday Princess Lyla!

No comments: