Monday, September 30, 2013

A Job for the Pros ?

September 2013 057
New bimini has extra layers of leather to avoid chafe.
       What was I thinking when the Captain suggested that surely I could sew a new bimini? We needed a new one badly. The old pro who fashioned our dodger eighteen months ago said our bimini was good until we could see the light of day coming through. Well- not only could we see the light of day, but we could also feel the rain dripping through since I scrubbed all the Saharan dust out of the canvas to prepare for company in June. It was time for a new one.
      
       What was I thinking?  (Fret not my family & friends as I am not on the verge of Alzheimer's.)  When compared to others, our bimini is large. My cruising friend Barb of s/v La Luna encouraged me, “Sure you can do it. I made ours.” (No offense, Barb- but I vaguely recall that yours is about half the size of ours.)     

       The old bimini was a handy template for the new one. The captain & I made notes on a few improvements. I measured twice- sometimes thrice or frice (I’m aware that frice is not a word.), cut once, then sewed for five days straight, forming a close bond with my spiffy new Sail Rite machine. It was a love-hate relationship. I hated tweaking the tension and would have loved to have thrown it over board, yet I pressed on breaking a needle in the process. The sixth day was Sunday and I gave myself a much deserved day off for good behavior, but deep down I knew I desperately needed some distance from that !@#%* machine.  

        Sunday evening we decided to watch a video. In fact, we selected two DVDs…the ones that came with my spiffy new Sail Rite machine. (You know- the ones that provide helpful tips on using and maintaining the machine.)  One vignette illustrated how to properly fill the bobbin. I noted that the process was different from what was shown in my printed owners manual. I edited my manual and the next day I filled three bobbins as displayed on the video. By the end of that day, I was nearly in tears. All day long I sewed and ripped out, sewed and ripped out. In addition, I ruined another needle when it bent while stitching around a zipper, leaving me with only one good needle.  I was ready to take the project in to a shop and let the pros handle it.    
 
        In desperation, the Captain & I reviewed select sections of the DVDs and dismantled part of the machine. We checked the thread and bobbin tensions, the walking presser foot mechanics, and the stitch timing. All these seemed to be adjusted correctly. We oiled every moving part. We carefully inspected the shuttle hook and the retaining ring cap spring (that far from resembles a spring) and found a burr to sand smooth. Still there was no real improvement.    

        Then it occurred to me that I had wound the bobbins differently. The next day I rewound a bobbin and tested it. PERFECT. The bimini was completed without damaging my one last needle! Its shade offers us much relief from the blazing sun of Grenada’s rainy season.

PS: I put out a call on the daily Grenada Cruisers’ Net for Sail Rite needles and got a quick response from a lovely catamaran- s/v No Rehearsal who gifted us with a dozen needles in various sizes.  THANK YOU No Rehearsal! 
September 2013 053
Loops sewn in to hold light ropes in place