Friday, July 8, 2011

SPROUTS!

    Those who know me well wondered how I would cope without a garden to tend while sailing.  I jokingly said that I was going to walk around the islands wearing a placard that read “WILL GARDEN FOR FRESH FRUIT & VEGGIES”.  It hasn’t come to that yet, but the truth is my gardening urges have torn at me often ashore when I see fruit or vegetables dangling on a vine inside someone’s fence, a weedy area, or an unkempt tropical plant.
     My Dad once told me that our family name, GLISTA, meant “worm”.  Afterward, my aunt (who made multiple trips to Poland) and a number of polite Polski acquaintances offered “of the earth” as a translation.  No matter how you look at it, the GLISTA name suits my immediate family well, as virtually everyone is totally into nurturing and growing. 
     I cleaned and saved a pickle jar recently and finally made a first attempt at cultivating some fresh sprouts on board Exit Strategy.  The captain kept looking at me and the jar sideways.  I could tell he was thinking, What is she gonna make me eat now…
Voila! Crispy, crunchy mung bean sprouts in 36 hours.
PS:  Happy 60th Birthday to Captain Dan!
(Don’t feel too sorry for him.  He wasn’t served the sprouts today, but did enjoy homemade full milkfatted, buttered, sugared banana cream pie.)

No comments: