Monday, April 18, 2011

Baie de Grand Case-St. Martin

Enjoyed a HUGE rum laced strawberry dessert here.
…is quite picturesque with its brightly colored restaurants and resorts that frame a long stretch of velvety soft sand.  We came in time for the Tuesday night street party and stayed for a week, wandering a little here and there every day and buying a lot of freshly baked bread.

I ATE A SKATE
Strolling along the narrow main street in Grand Case, one can review every restaurant’s menu and then decide on a suitable dining destination.  For us it was simple- only La Villa’s entre’ offerings caught my attention, as they had “skate wing” listed on the specials of the day board.  I was intriguedafter reading in our Fish of the Atlantic book that skate, a ray type sea creature, was fished commercially, yet I’d never seen it anywhere.  How could I resist this opportunity?  We went, I ate skate, and I’m pleased to report that it had the texture and taste of flakey fish and, yes, I would order it again.   








B.Y.O. PALM SUNDAY
The 8:30 am Mass at St. Mary Star of the Sea in Grand Case was perfect for us.  We had been listening to it toll the daytime hours and half hours since we arrived and looked forward to attending there on Palm Sunday.  But we didn’t know we were supposed to bring our own palms to be blessed before Mass began.  Many parishioners arrived with a bouquet of palm fronds, so I thought maybe they’d share… No such luck.

St. Mary Star of the Sea shares its pastor with St. Martin in Marigot AND the parish in the French Quarter that I suspect we’ll attend on Easter Sunday.  The celebration of the Mass here was quite different, as it was said in English at least 95% of the time.


Ready to eat a skate.


No comments: