Friday, November 26, 2010

THANKS giving-

May 2010 on the Farm
    It was interesting growing up in a family with nine children in the 50's and 60's.  Then, throw in the fact that we lived on a large working farm in Southwestern Michigan that further ensured nary a dull moment.  If you weren’t getting along with one sibling, you could always play or work to complete a chore with another.  Most of us stumbled upon conflict resolution techniques, as well as acquired clear communication skills out of necessity.  We were disciplined in every sense by our parents and still often defer to their judgment in certain areas out of a deep love and respect, and for that I will be forever grateful for my Mom & Dad's constant care and guidance.
Somewhere in the Caribbean at Sunset
    My dad permitted me to attend Southern Illinois University on a teacher education grant that his sister/my counselor, Sr. Paschalita helped secure, knowing that my then boyfriend Danny was also enrolled there.  I recall my father’s specific words of warning- “You know, Rosie, sometimes boys can just string you along.”  My relationship with Danny only grew stronger during our time at SIU and four decades later continues to bring unusually pleasant adventures after two children, four grandchildren, 3 apartments, 7 houses in 4 states, and a boat in the Caribbean.  Our friends & family know that our opposing personalities have often resulted in a difference of opinion, but I’m so thankful to Danny for unknowingly pushing me to become the person I am today.  So in a way, Dan is still stringing me along- only these days he uses the mainsail and genoa sheets or dock lines.
    Hope your Thanksgiving day was spent within the warmth of family and friends!

PS: The island radio stations began playing Christmas carols this week!

1 comment:

The Carrolls said...

Miss you both! We're thankful to have such wonderful role model parents... not just for the "parenting" aspect, but also the goal-setting and achieving your retirement dream!